Canadian Firefighter Magazine

Headlines News
Fire at farm tap unit leaves 300 homes without gas service

Feb. 7, 2017, Grand Prairie, Alta. - The gas is back on at about 300 homes in northwestern Alberta which went without service for much of the day Monday after a fire at an Atco Gas farm tap unit.




Alberta Emergency Alert said the fire happened Monday morning on Highway 670 and Range Road 52 in the County of Grande Prairie.

The fire was extinguished and Atco Gas started getting compressed natural gas trailers to supply customers while it tries to restore service.

That was accomplished by Monday night, as Atco went door-to-door to relight gas appliances in the affected homes.

A warming centre was set up in Evergreen Park for affected residents but it was scheduled to close by midnight.

Environment Canada has issued a severe cold warning for the area, saying wind chills between -35 and -45 C were expected Monday night.

February 7, 2017
By The Canadian Press