Improperly disposed smoking materials caused Halifax fire

The Canadian Press
March 13, 2018
Written by The Canadian Press
March 13, 2018, Halifax - Officials say a house fire that killed three people in Lower Sackville this month was caused by "improper disposal of smoking materials."

Halifax Fire Chief Ken Stuebing said Monday there will be no charges and the cause is classified as accidental.

The March 3 blaze killed 58-year-old Marven Hart, his 18-year-old son Trent Hart and his 11-year-old granddaughter Carys Barnes. Hart's wife, Pat, was treated in hospital.

In a news release, fire officials say they have wrapped up their investigation and concluded the fire started in the basement due to improper disposal of smoking materials.

It then spread throughout the house, causing an electrical fault along its path. Stuebing had previously suggested the fire was the result of an electrical fault.

Officials said Monday that all recent electrical work at the duplex was "done appropriately and up to code."

"This is a horribly tragic incident, and our most sincere condolences go out to the family of those who died as a result of the fire," said Stuebing.

Stuebing has said he hopes the tragedy prompts citizens to install more smoke alarms in their home.

Subscription Centre

New Subscription
Already a Subscriber
Customer Service
View Digital Magazine Renew

Most Popular


We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. To find out more, read our Privacy Policy.